Special Audiences

We understand no two applicants are the same and not every applicant fits neatly into the category of freshmen or transfer student. That is why we will consider your specific circumstances through an application process developed just for you.

Agriculture Forward | Concurrent Enrollment | Dream Act & DACA | GED | Golden ID Program | Home-schooled Students | Non-degree-seeking Students | Post-baccalaureate Programs | Reenrollment | Veterans

Agriculture Forward at Maryland >

Agriculture Forward at Maryland is an access program for students who plan to pursue a career in agriculture and natural resources. Participants in the Ag Forward program receive dual academic advising from the Institute of Applied Agriculture (IAA) and College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (AGNR) faculty members to ensure all program requirements are met and a seamless transition. At the end of four years, students who have met all program requirements graduate with both an IAA certificate and a bachelor’s degree from their selected AGNR major.

Concurrent Enrollment

You can enroll at Maryland even before you graduate from high school. We allow talented high school seniors to take up to two courses or seven credits during the fall, spring and summer semesters. We’re looking for students who’ve demonstrated exceptional performance and ability in a rigorous high school program.

To apply, submit a completed application and application fee, high school transcript, essay explaining why you’re interested in attending Maryland concurrently, a letter of recommendation from your high school, and a letter of permission from your parents or legal guardians. You also must live within commuting distance. In order to be considered, students must apply by the following deadlines:

Spring: Jan. 2
Summer: May 1
Fall: Aug. 1

Maryland Dream Act & Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA)

Any student, other than a non-immigrant visa holder, within the meaning of 8 U.S.C. - 1101(A)(15), who meets all of the requirements listed on the form, shall be exempt from paying non-resident tuition at all public colleges and universities in Maryland. Prospective students who hold DACA status can find additional information here.

General Education Development (GED)

If you did not graduate from a regionally accredited high school, then submit results of the Tests of General Education Development, along with academic letters of recommendation, an essay and SAT scores with your application.

Golden ID Program >

If you are 60 or older, a legal resident of the state of Maryland and retired, the University of Maryland has courses and services available to you. To participate, you should submit your completed application. If admitted to the university, you can register on a space-available basis for credit courses as a regular or special student in any session. You must pay an administrative fee for each semester registered.

Home-schooled Students

If you’ve been home-schooled, you should submit your completed application and provide a transcript with the following: course descriptions, books used, methods of evaluation and grades received (credit contracts). You should meet the same minimum high school course requirements expected of all applicants; your SAT and/or ACT scores will be strongly considered in the review of your application.

Please also include general information about your home schooling program or agency and a letter of recommendation from both an academic professional and the home schooling teacher/parent. If you’ve taken college-level courses, you should also include an official college transcript with your application.

Non-degree-seeking Students

If you are a transfer applicant without a bachelor’s degree and wish to apply for admission as a non-degree-seeking student, you should follow the transfer application instructions. Please be sure to indicate "non-degree-seeking" on the application.

You must submit a completed application, official transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended, and the application fee. You will be reviewed under the same standards for admission as degree-seeking students. If you have already completed a bachelor’s degree, transcripts are not required; however, since you may need to demonstrate that you have met prerequisites for courses, it is a good idea to have one available to advisors. Admitted non-degree seeking students register on a space-available basis beginning on the first day of class.

If you wish to enroll for one semester as a visiting student and transfer the course work back to your home institution, you must submit the transfer application, official transcript and a letter of permission from an academic advisor or dean at your home institution.

Post-baccalaureate Programs

If you are a transfer student with a bachelor’s degree and wish to apply for admission as a non-degree-seeking student, follow the transfer application instructions with the following exception: If you have earned your bachelor’s degree in the United States, you do not need to submit college transcripts.

Reenrollment >

Re-enrollment pertains only to students who have previously attended the University of Maryland, College Park. If you are interested in returning to the university after a period of dismissal or withdrawal, then you can complete a reenrollment application. Students who attended on a "term only" basis or who were admitted to the university but did not attend must complete a regular application for undergraduate admission. For more information about the re-enrollment process, please visit the Student Success Office website.


Thank you for your service. As a veteran, you face unique challenges navigating the admission process, and we want to support you through it. At the University of Maryland, you are considered a veteran if you’re currently enlisted or have served in the U.S. armed forces or one of its reserve units. We highly encourage veterans like you to apply to Maryland, where we look forward to helping you achieve your personal and academic goals and get involved in campus life. As a Principles of Excellence Program institution, we are committed to helping you continue your education and get involved in Veteran Student Life

    • Freshman

Freshman applicants are students who did not attend college out of high school and have not earned more than 12 college credits. To be considered for freshman admission, you need to submit the completed application, your high school transcript and letters of recommendation from current or former military superiors or civilian supervisors. If you’ve been out of school more than three years, you don’t need to submit SAT or ACT scores. Please review all requirements for freshman applicants. We do not need proof of military documentation until after you are offered admission to the university.

    • Transfer

Transfer applicants should have attended college after high school or while you were on active duty and earned at least 12 college credits. Credit for basic military training is awarded to qualified students based on submission of required documentation. Visit the basic military credit policy for details. Please review all requirements for transfer applicants. We do not need proof of military documentation until after you are offered admission to the university.

Your Admission Representative Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Connecticut Delaware Delaware District of Columbia District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming Puerto Rico Virgin Islands International