Obtaining a Visa

Admitted international applicants and students with international coursework must provide a visa after they are offered admission.

If you are admitted to the University of Maryland and hold or intend to seek an F-1 Student or J-1 Exchange Visitor visa, you must submit a photocopy of your I-94 Arrival/Departure Record and visa stamp with your application. We do not need this documentation until after you are offered admission to the university.

If you have questions regarding the status of your visa or the required paperwork, please contact International Student & Scholar Services.

Admitted Students Residing in the United States

If you are holding F-1 Student or J-1 Exchange Visitor status in the United States, you need to submit a photocopy of your I-94 Arrival/Departure Record, visa stamp and current I-20 or DS2019 form along with the Certification of Finances.

If you have another type of nonimmigrant status, you need to submit a photocopy of your I-94 Arrival/Departure Record and visa stamp, and must indicate if you intend to change to F-1 Student or J-1 Exchange Visitor status. Upon admission and submission of the appropriate financial support documentation, the university will issue you the appropriate Certificate of Eligibility form (I-20 or DS2019).

Admitted Students Residing Outside of the United States

To enter the United States, international students residing abroad need a passport from their government and a visa from the U.S. Consulate. To obtain a visa for the purposes of studying in the United States, the applicant must present a Certificate of Eligibility form I-20 to the U.S. Consulate. The university’s Office of International Student & Scholar Services will issue this form to admitted students who have:

1. Submitted the Certification of Finances to provide proof of having sufficient funds to cover the cost of a program of study.
2. Confirmed their enrollment online.

Your admission to the university may be cancelled if all required materials are not received.

Admitted students who are sponsored by agencies, foundations or their home government, or are participating in an established exchange program may be issued the Certificate of Eligibility form (DS2019) in order to obtain the J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa.

Canadian Citizens

If you are a Canadian citizen who has been admitted to the university, have confirmed your enrollment and have completed the Certification of Finances, you don’t need a visa. Instead, you are required at the port of entry to present your passport or proof of Canadian citizenship, a certificate of eligibility for nonimmigrant status (the I-20 or DS-2019 form that the University of Maryland provides) and evidence of adequate funding for your proposed program of study. You will then be issued an I-94 card indicating your student visa status.

Your Admission Representative Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Connecticut Delaware Delaware District of Columbia District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming Puerto Rico Virgin Islands International